Data Science Excellence Program
If you’re looking for a career in big data that inspires, challenges, and rewards—join us!
- Are you excited about using proprietary data to solve problems in insurance, finance, energy, and climate?
- Do you visualize data and build proofs of concepts to solve problems and puzzles for fun and look forward to using those skills to solve real-world problems?
- Do you thrive on uncovering analytical insights through data mining and statistics and translating those insights into decisions and actions?
- Are you looking to develop technical and nontechnical skill sets and learn how to become a team and business leader?
Verisk Analytics is searching for individuals just like you to play a vital role in modeling, visualizing, and interpreting the critical data at the heart of our business platforms. We’ve designed our Data Science Excellence Program as a path to get you there—and transform you into a leading expert on risk data and decision analytics.
We’re big—not just in data, but in scope and principle—serving customers in 30 countries with about 7,500 employees, including many renowned technology experts. We’re an accomplished workforce, where nearly 30 percent of our people have advanced degrees, certifications, and professional designations in fields like predictive analytics, data science, actuarial science, mathematics, computer science, chemistry, physics, economics, engineering, meteorology, and GIS mapping.
As a socially responsible member of the S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 indices, we provide leading predictive analytics and decision support solutions to customers in specific vertical markets, including insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services.
When you join our team, you’ll enter an environment recognized by Forbes as a Best Mid-Size Employer and one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. We earn that recognition, in part, by developing engaging employee experiences in service to our customers, promoting a healthy work/life balance, and offering opportunities to give back through community awareness programs such as Verisk Volunteer Week.
Collaborative learning: We’ve designed our Data Science Excellence Program to enhance participant learning while familiarizing you with various Verisk business units, products, services, and customers. Your peers will be there to assist you, and experienced data scientists will be on hand daily to discuss concepts and concerns. The program also includes group discussions and Q&A sessions along with a collaborative culture.
Mentors: As part of the program, you’ll develop mentorships, so you’ll not only learn about the cutting-edge techniques used in the growing field of big data but also get to know actual practitioners actively working in the field.
Professional growth and social network: Through the program, you’ll be part of our cross-functional professional and social network. You’ll share experiences and learn from colleagues, mentors, and senior business leaders as you build the foundation of your career. You’ll establish contacts here that serve as an invaluable source of knowledge, advice, career opportunities, and friendship in years to come.
Our Data Science Excellence Program consists of three 18-month rotations at different Verisk businesses. This full-time position as a Verisk data scientist provides a competitive salary, long-term incentive awards, and on-the-job training with real-world projects in a variety of disciplines. Locations include:
- AIR Worldwide (catastrophic risk modeling solutions): Boston, Massachusetts
- Argus (financial information services): White Plains, New York; San Francisco, California
- Atmospheric and Environmental Research (weather risk management and research services): Lexington, Massachusetts
- Verisk’s innovative analytics team (advanced analytical solutions for financial services and property/casualty insurance): San Francisco, California
- Verisk insurance solutions (property/casualty insurance risk services): Jersey City, New Jersey; Lexington, South Carolina
- ISO (property/casualty insurance risk services): Jersey City, New Jersey; San Francisco, California; Buffalo Grove, Illinois (auto insurance analytics)
- Xactware (building and repair cost estimation solutions): Lehi, Utah
- Verisk Maplecroft (global risk analytics, research, and strategic forecasting): New York, New York; Jersey City, New Jersey
At the program’s conclusion, you’ll emerge with a broader understanding of our global company, prepared to provide strong project leadership in your ultimate business unit placement.
- Master’s degree in data science or data analytics
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Demonstrated skills in research and analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional internship experience plus a history of involvement in school and community activities
- Confidence, humility, and a commitment to excellence and professional growth