ISO is the acknowledged leader in writing policy language to cover all kinds of property and liability risks. All our policy forms—personal and commercial—use easy-to-read language that helps consumers know what they're buying and salespeople know what they're selling.

We also develop and help implement the rating and policywriting rules that insurers need to operate in the marketplace.


We submit policy forms and rules to government regulators on behalf of insurance companies that authorize us to do so. Individual companies may submit modified or alternative forms and rules. But the existence of ISO's standardized programs helps regulators make sure that each insurer's policies meet basic coverage expectations. Standardized forms also simplify claim settlements and reduce costly litigation, because the meaning of coverage terminology becomes established and known. And our rules and forms help insurers enter new lines of business and new markets.

ISO policy forms and rules are available for the following lines of insurance:

Commercial Lines

  • Automobile
  • Businessowners
  • Capital assets (output policy)
  • Crime and fidelity
  • Cyber risk
  • Employment-related practices liability
  • Equipment breakdown (formerly boiler and machinery)
  • Farm
  • Financial institutions
  • Feneral liability
  • Inland marine (including nonfiled inland marine)
  • Management protection (E&O)
  • Market segments
  • Package
  • Professional liability (E&O)
  • Property
  • Umbrella

Personal Lines

  • Automobile
  • Dwelling property
  • Homeowners
  • Inland marine
  • Liability (including personal umbrella)
  • Watercraft

All ISO Services are available to property/casualty insurers and reinsurers.

Many ISO products and services are available to other companies and organizations. In most cases, you will need to sign a separate license agreement—for which there may be a fee—to receive our products and services.