Last Updated: 11 August 2020
Verisk Insurance Solutions Limited (“VIS-I” or “we”) respects your concerns about privacy. This Notice applies to personal data we collect from third party controllers that provide data relating to vehicle registration and public record search data. The Notice describes the types of personal data we obtain from these two sources, how we use that personal data, and with whom we share it. We also describe the rights you may have and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
VIS-I is a data controller in respect of;
- a) Vehicle Registration Data – Vehicle registration number and vehicle attributes.
- b) Public Record Search Data – data relating to judgments, disqualifications / restricted Directors, Consumer Defaulters, Commercial Defaulters, Bankruptcy and Corporate Insolvencies.
Verisk contact details, as well as the contact details of Verisk’s Data Protection Officer can be found at the ‘How To Contact Us’ section at the end of this Notice.
The third parties from which we receive vehicle registration and public record search data are each a data controller in their own right in respect to the data they each collect. The Insurer or Managing General Agent that you communicate with are also a data controller in their own right, in respect of the data that they process in association with your insurance application. We therefore suggest that you read this Privacy Notice together with the privacy notices from third-party controllers that provide VIS-I vehicle registration and public record search data: Department of Transport and Stubbs Gazette as well as the Privacy Notice of the Insurer or Managing General Agent that you communicate with.
1. How We Obtain Information About You
- Vehicle Data. We collect motor vehicle data from the above-identified third party.
- Public Record Search Data. We collect data from the above-identified third party relating to public record search data on individuals.
2. Information We Obtain
- The personal data we receive regarding vehicle registration includes vehicle registration number, and vehicle attributes data such as vehicle make, model, year, transmission, CC, tax class, number of doors, roadworthy status etc. The data does not include vehicle owner information.
- The personal data we receive relating to public record search includes judgements, disqualifications / restricted Directors, Consumer Defaulters, Commercial Defaulters, Bankruptcy and Corporate Insolvencies.
3. How We Use Information That We Obtain
- We use the vehicle registration data to provide services to our clients i.e. Insurance Companies, MGAs (Managing General Agents), clients who work in the motor trade such as garages and dealers etc. Our services enable our clients to query the data for vehicle attribute data, for example, car details and history, roadworthy status, make, model, number of doors, engine size etc. Clients use this information to pre-populate vehicle attributes at the time of insurance quotation, to ensure they have accurate information relating to the vehicle and where applicable, to enable them to make underwriting decisions. Clients working in the motor trade such as garages and dealers, use the information to check vehicle details and vehicle history.
- We use public record search data to provide services to our clients i.e. MGA’s, Insurance Companies. Our services enable our clients to perform queries on individuals which they use for underwriting decisions.
- VIS-Ireland does not make underwriting decisions. This means that the insurance company or broker are in charge of how they handle your data and we are not responsible for this. For further details of how your data may be processed, please refer to the Privacy Notice for the Insurance Company or Broker with whom you are engaged.
We use the personal data for these purposes because we have a legitimate business interest in providing services to our customers and other interested individuals that is not overridden by your interests, rights and freedoms to protect personal data about you.
In addition to the uses discussed above, we may also;
- use the personal data to:
- operate, evaluate, and improve our business;
- develop new products and services;
- analyse our products and services;
- anonymise the data
We use the personal data for the purposes described above because we have a legitimate interest in operating and improving our business that is not overridden by your interests, rights and freedoms to protect personal data about you.
We may also use the information to protect against and prevent fraud, claims, and other liabilities and to comply with or enforce applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our policies and terms. We use personal data for these purposes when it is necessary to protect, exercise or defend our legal rights, or when we are required to do so by law that applies to us.
4. Information We Share
We share vehicle registration personal data with:
- Insurance companies and MGAs (Managing General Agents)
- Clients who work in the motor trade
We share public record search personal data with:
- Insurance companies
- Managing General Agents
We may share the personal data that we obtain from the third parties with service providers that perform services on our behalf such as, analytics providers, hosting providers and advisers. All service providers have entered into legally binding agreements requiring them to use or disclose personal data only as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with applicable legal requirements.
In addition, we may disclose personal data about you that we have obtained from third parties (a) if we are required or permitted to do so by law or legal process, for example due to a court order or a request from a law enforcement agency, (b) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, (c) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or other illegal activity, and (c) in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganisation, dissolution, or liquidation).
5. Data Transfers
We may transfer the personal data that we collect about you from the third parties to recipients in countries other than the country in which the personal data originally was collected. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the personal data. When we transfer your personal data to recipients in other countries (such as the U.S.), we will protect that personal data as described in this Notice.
If you are located in the UK, Ireland, or European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal data to recipients in countries outside of the UK, Ireland, EEA and Switzerland. In all such cases, we will only transfer your personal data if:
- The country to which the personal data will be transferred has been granted a European Commission adequacy decision;
- We have put in place appropriate safeguards in respect of the transfer, for example the EU Model Contracts.
You may request a copy of the safeguards that we have put in place in respect of transfers of personal data by contacting us as described in the How To Contact Us section below.
6. How Long We Keep Information
The time period for which we keep personal data depends on the purpose for which we collected it. In all cases we keep it for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it. We will then delete the personal data, unless we are legally required to retain it or if we need to retain it in order to comply with our legal obligations (for example, for tax and accounting purposes).
Subject to any applicable legal requirements, we typically retain personal data as follows:
- Vehicle Registration Data: we refresh the list of registered vehicles on a weekly basis so that we have up to date data on registered vehicles. We only retain this personal data for as long as necessary in order to deliver the services to our clients and for a short further period in case it is required for reference or for comparison purposes.
- Public Record Search Data: Judgements – (weekly Updates), Disqualifications/Restricted Directors – (quarterly Updates), Consumer Defaulters (quarterly updates), Commercial Defaulters (quarterly updates), Bankruptcy – (weekly updates), Corporate Insolvencies – (weekly updates). We retain this personal data for as long as necessary in order to deliver the service to our clients.
7. Your Rights and Choices
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), UK or Switzerland, you may have the following rights in relation to personal data that we receive from the third parties:
- To request confirmation of whether we process personal data relating to you, and if so, to request a copy of that personal data;
- To request that we rectify or update your personal data that is inaccurate, incomplete or outdated.
- To request that we erase your personal data in certain circumstances, such as where we collected personal data on the basis of your consent and you withdraw your consent;
- To request that we restrict the use of your personal data in certain circumstances, such as while we consider another request that you have submitted, for example a request that we update your personal data;
- To request that we stop processing your personal data for any reason unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds overriding your interests;
- Where you have given us consent to process your personal data, to withdraw your consent; and
- To request that we provide a copy of your personal data to you in a structured, commonly used and machine- readable format in certain circumstances.
You may contact us by e-mail or as described in the “How to Contact Us” section below to exercise your rights described above.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection supervisory authority in your country. You can find the contact information of the data protection supervisory authority in your country here.
8. Updates to Our Notice
We may update this Notice periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal data practices or relevant laws. We will post the updated version and indicate at the top of the notice when it was most recently updated.
9. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice or any issue relating to how we collect, use, or disclose personal data, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, you may contact us.
Please include your name and the name of the business, Verisk Insurance Solutions Ltd, to which your request refers.
By e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In writing at:
Attention: Privacy Inquiries
2nd Floor, Linea House, Harvest Crescent