The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has issued new commercial driver's license (CDL requirements effective May 10, 2017.
Pursuant to federal law, the DMV is requiring all new and existing CDL applicants to provide DMV with the following:
- Proof of United States citizenship/lawful permanent residency/legal presence
- Proof of residency (domicile)
The new requirements apply to original and renewal CDL applicants, as well as CDL cardholders who request a license upgrade.
Applicants who started their CDL application, but didn’t complete the process before May 9, 2017, are required to meet the new requirements. Visit the California Division of Motor Vehicles website for more details.
New California EPN requirements
California’s Employer Pull Notice (EPN) department has begun the process of requesting all EPN subscribers to update their account information on file with the state. To do this, the state is sending an e-mail or, if no e-mail address is on file, a mailed letter with a form to complete.
Here’s what EPN subscribers should know:
- The form must be completed by the EPN contact for your organization.
- If you have multiple EPN accounts, you will receive multiple notifications. You will need to return a separate form for each individual account.
- Include your EPN Requester Code in your response.
- The form or forms, with original signature (no copies), needs to be returned to the original return address on the shown on the form. (iiX suggests using a postal tracking method when sending and making copies for your records).
Responses must be received by the EPN department within 30 days of the date listed on the letter you received. If the response deadline is not met, your account with the state will be closed and your California drivers will be deleted from the EPN program.