Data Science Excellence Program
If you’re looking for a career in big data that inspires, challenges, and rewards you, come join us!
As a data scientist, you thrive on uncovering analytical insights through data mining and statistics. And you look forward to translating those insights into decisions and actions.
We’re looking for individuals just like you to play a major role in how we architect, visualize, and interpret critical data that’s at the very core of our business.
You’ll partner with our leaders to understand objectives, then work alongside our analysts and actuaries to execute and communicate findings through visualizations and presentations. Simply put, we want you to be one of Verisk’s leading experts on risk data and decision analytics.
Why Verisk Analytics
Verisk employs nearly 6,300 people around the world, including renowned experts in many technical fields. Our employees hold a multitude of advanced degrees—as well as hundreds of certifications and professional designations—in subjects ranging from actuarial science, mathematics, and computer science to physics, engineering, meteorology, and medicine. When you join our team, you’ll be part of an organization that’s creating new products and services for our customers and developing engaging experiences for our employees. Our innovations include weather and environmental analytics to help clients plan for and manage weather and climate volatility, a mobile application that revolutionizes underwriting for vehicles, and so much more. We also encourage our employees to participate in community awareness programs such as Verisk Community Service Week, through which employees have the opportunity to give back to the many communities where Verisk lives and thrives.
What we offer
Collaborative learning: We’ve designed our Data Science Excellence Program to enhance participant learning while familiarizing you with various Verisk business units, products and services, and customers. Your peers will be there to assist you, and experienced data scientists will be on hand daily to discuss concepts and concerns. The program also comprises group discussions and Q&A sessions along with an informal collaborative culture.
Designated mentors: As part of the program, we’ll provide you with a mentor with whom you can consult throughout your development. All program mentors are experienced software engineers and Verisk managers. This means you’ll not only learn about the cutting-edge techniques used in the growing field of big data, but you’ll also get to know the actual practitioners who are actively working in the field.
Professional growth and social network: Through the program, you’ll be part of a cross-functional professional and social network. You can share experiences and learn from each other as you build the foundation of your career, moving across disciplines on a data science or general manager track. Those contacts will be an invaluable source of knowledge, advice, career opportunities, and friendship in years to come.
How the program works
Our Data Science Excellence Program rotations are 18-month, fulltime, paid positions. The program combines on-the-job training with real-world projects in a variety of disciplines at participating Verisk businesses, including:
- AIR Worldwide (catastrophic risk modeling solutions): Boston, Massachusetts
- Argus Information and Advisory Services (financial information services): White Plains, New York; and San Francisco, California
- Atmospheric and Environmental Research (weather risk management and research services): Lexington, Massachusetts
- Verisk Innovative Analytics (advanced analytical solutions for financial services and property/casualty insurance): San Francisco, California
- Verisk Insurance Solutions (property/casualty insurance risk services): Jersey City, New Jersey; Lehi, Utah; Lexington, Massachusetts; and San Francisco, California
- Verisk Maplecroft (global risk analytics, research, and strategic forecasting): New York, New York; and Jersey City, New Jersey
What you’ll need
- Master’s degree in data science or data analytics
- GPA of at least 3.4
- Demonstrated skills in research and analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional internship experience plus a history of involvement in school and community activities
- Confidence, humility, and a commitment to excellence and professional growth